Should I exercise if I am sick?
Exercise such as lifting weights, running, playing volleyball, or dancing typically leave you with a good feeling afterwards. What if you are feeling a little under the weather? Should you still seek exercise to help you feel better? Whether you are sick with a cold or the flu, there is no difference in the way the body responds while working out. You’ll feel good from the workout, but your body will not recover any faster from it.
You can exercise if you are feeling sick when:
- You feel like it and have energy to do so
- Symptoms are mild like a runny nose
- You haven’t had a fever for over 24 hours
You should NOT exercise when:
- You have a fever
- Your body aches
- You have diarrhea or are vomiting
- You have a cold with chronic conditions such as asthma