Dealing With Allergies
If you’re an allergy sufferer, here are some tips to help you reduce contact with outdoor allergens:
- Wear a facemask when working outdoors. Choose a mask approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). A hat, glasses, gloves, and a long-sleeve shirt can also reduce contact with pollen.
- Ask a member of the family that isn’t allergic to mow and weed flowerbeds.
- Cut grass low – 2 inches. This helps keep pollen stems out of the wind.
- Keep the windows in your house closed while mowing and for a few hours after.
- Plan outdoor activities on cool or cloudy days and in the late afternoon or evening. Pollen counts tend to be lower then.
- Shower and change clothes when you go back in. Wash your hair since allergens can be trapped there.